Friday, May 4, 2012

May Days to Submit Work



When the call to challenge rang out on May 1st, many of our PAD and MNINB group members paused, took a deep breath, and sighed. I think it would be fair to say that few could believe what they were reading. “Submit at least one piece of work each day for the entire month of May.”

Yep. You saw that right. Some of the group simply can’t comply due to more critical situations at home and at work, but for the rest of us, we’re gamely attempting what seemed like an impossible feat just a few short days ago.

This is day four of this last minute challenge that none had contemplated. We each post on the group sites what we subbed and to which publication, whether online or print, contest or blog, and watch to see who else took the plunge that day.

I have yet to hit the send button today. I have three possibles on the starting line, waiting for a shove into the chute. I have a children’s story that can go out any time. It’s been polished to within a paragraph of existence. I have poems coming out of my ears that can go in nearly any direction. And I have a couple of polished and professionally edited essays that can go out on their own.

There’s a coin I’ve been saving for just such an occasion as this. I’ll do a three-way toss to see which item goes out today. That gives me plenty for the next few days. Who knows? I might send more than on submission out per day and really scare myself.

For those that are timid about subbing and worry about those nasty rejection emails, don’t be. Take a page from my post today on Claudsy’s Blog. Make that rejection your best friend. Embrace it. Plaster your wall with it and its friends. Proudly show that wall to family and friends and declare “See how much work I’ve sent out!”

If you’ve chosen to accept such a challenge as this, comment here. Tell me about your personal submission challenge. If you don’t have one, but want to try it, feel free. Post a comment here each day you’ve braved the “SEND” button and sent out a piece of work. I’ll gladly help you show the world how much you’re working on the craft.

Until later, keep writing while you enjoy the process,

Claudsy

2 comments:

  1. This is a good idea
    I appreciate you
    But where to post
    or where to submit
    the content
    pl tell more about it
    and promote it thru the
    social web sites like fb g+ etc so that many may join in
    All Good Wishes for the new attempt
    I would like to join in
    Best regards
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Phil, I'm sorry. It's no secret. I'll gladly share sources. Writers have to stick together, don't we.

    I used a variety of sources for finding markets.

    http://duotrope.com/index.aspx/ will take you to a lovely little site with big impact. Many writers rely on this source for finding new markets, and keeping up on those online markets that are no long viable.

    http://sharingwithwriters.blogspot.com/ has all sorts of industry info, including markets to watch.

    http://pw.org/ is the website for Poets and Writers Magazine which has a free online sign-up that can get you hooked up with many market listings, including those for contests, grants, fellowships, agents, etc.

    http://www.writermag.com/ is the website for The Writer Magazine and it too has a free newsletter, plus market listings for publications, agents, etc. This is a marvelous site with all sorts of cool info.

    http://www.writersdigest.com/ is the home of Writer's Digest, which also has a free newsletter, market listings, writer communities and lots more.

    Within a matter of an hour, you can have more markets available to research than you have work to submit. Enjoy the free-for-all at the bargain counters, my friend.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete